Wednesday, June 20, 2012


One of the knits I enjoy the most is socks. I really only learned how to use the double pointed needles a few years ago but I appreciate the complexity of the work. Last summer I gave myself a challenge to knit each of the socks in the Master Class Sock Knitting book which tests a variety of skills and techniques but I have come quite short in my endeavor. I realized that there are a few of the socks that I don't really like and there are some that just take longer than I anticipated. However, one of them that I do like is called Almondine by Anne Hanson. I decided to give them to my good friend, Stacy. I used a gorgeous yarn that I purchased in Boulder, Colorado, when I was taking a class last year. The shop is called Gypsy Wools like the yarn. As I was knitting them, I thought I would run short of yarn. I read in Ann Budd's blog that she ran short and I was fearful the same thing was going to happen to me. I even contemplated ripping them out and discussed my options with Connie. We thought about how it could be taken out from the cuff or perhaps even use a different yarn for the toe if necessary but none of these ideas were appealing to me. Thankfully, I didn't rip the socks out and kept knitting which could have been an exercise in futility had the outcome been different. Let's just say that everything worked out perfectly. The socks were completed with only a few inches to spare. I've given them to Stacy and I hope she likes them as much as I do! Through this situation, I learned that sometimes I need to have more faith and trust that things will work out they way God intended them. I know He cares about things that are important to me and, everyone knows, my knitting is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment